Peter Alton

Location:
KINGSTON UPON HULL, United Kingdom

Music Creator:
Musician

Instruments:
Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Bass

To like a post, comment, message or send friend requests, please either log in above, or

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Grimshaw J.1

A simple Dreadnought sized acoustic. Hand made, costing very little, even in the 1960's.
Posted on Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 10:47 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Grimshaw T.12.E

Strange concept for a Django style guitar.I do recall Joe Pass doing a jazz album on a 12 string ( A sign of the times ) He used a Harmony Jumbo 12 for that outing.
Posted on Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 10:45 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Grimshaw T.B.G.

An unusual bass guitar concept for the mid 1960's.Good old Emile. Showing us the way !
Posted on Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 10:42 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Grimshaw T.6.E

Djangoesque acoustic electric with a concealed pickup.
Posted on Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 10:41 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Grimshaw M.S.12

12 string version of an old 1950's early 60's favourite.Bruce Welsh of the Shadows played the 6 string version of this,as di Joe Brown,in the beginning.I used Emile Grimshaw quite a lot for my repairs...
Posted on Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 10:38 AM

Nice holiday out the way ( Madeira, Portugal ),back on the road. Mostly local pubs & clubs, but getting a good reception.
Posted on Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hehe....never thought of that...Don't want to frighten anyone !.I do have some vids I could edit. Mmmm...thanks for the tip.

Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Not a problem, all you need do is take a laptop with you and so long as you have a connection you can live stream the show and even add a tip jar

Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Never ever thought to do that...live mistakes...on air ! That's entertainment. Must give that a try..soon.

Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 11:45 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Fender Tremolux 1964,beige.

I've always loved Fender amps,right back to the very early 1960's,when we,in Britain,could neither buy them or afford them.My first add on unit was a treble boost for my Vox 30,so I could boost the ba...
Posted on Thu., May. 14, 2015 - 3:00 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great Players.

Albert Lee ,Hessle Town Hall,Yorks,U.K. 060515

Great performance from Albert & his band,Wednesday last.Just the right sized hall to make it 'Intimate' for the audience. Thanks,Albert.
Posted on Fri., May. 8, 2015 - 6:41 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

1967 Guitar & Amplifier set up.

Hiding away with my other gear,my guitar and amp,as used in 1967.A great 1964 U.S. made Epiphone 'Sorrento',with a 1965 all tube Vox 10 twin,with original stand ( Vox 30 size) Great sounding gear,and ...
Posted on Fri., Apr. 24, 2015 - 2:34 PM

Peter Alton

has added frankie sullivan SURVIVOR as a friend.
Posted on Wed., Apr. 15, 2015 - 1:08 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great Players.

Larry Coryell Day,U.K.,Wrexham,May 16th 2015

Any aspiring or experienced Jazz Guitarist looking to increase their knowledge & expertise should give this a look. I attended one some years ago,and the results are astounding.Run by Welsh guitarist,...
Posted on Tue., Apr. 14, 2015 - 3:12 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album At Work....

Jazz Gig 2014.

It was great to do a Jazz gig again after a long break.In the 1960's,I played with an organ (B3 )based band called the 'Byrd's Groove', doing Jimmy Smith,Jack McDuff,Booker T. material.We put the band...
Posted on Fri., Apr. 10, 2015 - 9:02 AM

For those who need to know,That's a 1982,Blonde Gibson ES335 I bought at Columbia Music,Market Street,San Fran.C.A. in 1982.I played it through a Fender 'London' Reverb solid state amp
,designed by Paul Rivera,which I've owned since about 1985.A great combination.What a sound !

Fri., Apr. 10, 2015 - 9:07 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album At Work....

Live at 'Withstock',Withernsea,East Yorkshire,U.K.

Belting out a solo at an open air,Rock 'n Roll gig,with master 'Jerry Lee' piano man,Al KIlvo.Strat Plus,through A Rivera Design Fender 'Concert' amp & Delta Labs DDL....2 x 10" Fender cab shouting at...
Posted on Tue., Apr. 7, 2015 - 3:51 PM

Peter Alton

has added Marshall Lawrence as a friend.
Posted on Mon., Apr. 6, 2015 - 4:58 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great Players.

Wes Montgomery at Ronnie Scott's ,London. 5th April,1965

50 years ago,tonight,I was sat in Ronnie Scott's 'Old Place' in Gerrard Street,London,listening to this incredible musician.Wes had Stan Tracy (piano),Rick Laird (Bass) & Ronnie Stephenson (Drums). I ...
Posted on Mon., Apr. 6, 2015 - 2:58 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Early U.K. Musicians

Brian Jones,Rolling Stones,Bridlington Spa Theater,Yorkshire,U.K.-2nd May 1964

Posted on Fri., Apr. 3, 2015 - 4:53 PM

I was lucky enough to meet Brian at the Palace Theatre,Manchester,the night after this gig (03 May 1964) Our band,'Tony Martin & the Mods had
been booked to play the show & back the McKinley Sisters,who were from Edinburgh.The girls never showed,so they were one act short.Of course we got the job !We went an absolute storm.We were also commandeered into backing the Overlanders ( Michelle).A night to remember.I do recall Brian coming up to me and saying 'Ere mate,you got a plectrum ?' I never got it back ! Bill Wyman expressed great interest in our bass players blonde Fender 'Bassman',with it's tilt back legs.It looked great in the line of black Vox 30's & Bill's Vox bass rig.When asked why he didn't go and buy one,he said 'Vox give us this stuff for free ! '

Fri., Apr. 3, 2015 - 5:02 PM

If anyone out there is interested in the early musical lives of the likes of Mick Ronson ( Bowie ),Rod Temperton ( Heatwave),Rick Kemp ( Steeleye Span ),the Hullaballoos ( U.S. T.V. show residents,and many more,there's a radio programme being transmitted this Friday,3rd April at 1900hrs BST for 2 hours. The host station is Beverly F.M. (107.8 ),and they broadcast on line as beverleyfm.com The programme is dedicated to a venue called the Beverley Regal,which was a movie house,with a ballroom on the 4th floor,and NO elevator.The Mersey area had the Cavern,the east of England ( Humberside) had the Regal.Lots of early talent played there,including Mick Ronson,who used to watch me & the other older guitar men.Well worth a listen if you can figure out your local time to the U.K. British Summer Time.
Posted on Wed., Apr. 1, 2015 - 6:30 PM

Thanks,Rob.I still see Ian Bolder on a regular basis.He's well,thank goodness.I worked with Trevor in the 1970's at F
airview studio,and also Rod Temperton on the first Heatwave album there.

Wed., Apr. 1, 2015 - 7:47 PM

Good to hear, Sarah his daughter was also a wonderful warm hearted young lady, not spoken to her in ages , so hope shes well

Wed., Apr. 1, 2015 - 8:53 PM

Peter, back in the day movie houses were first vaudeville stages which most often had a ball room on the 4th floor, with no elevator!! I grew up in a town with two of these. The entrepreneurs who built these were out to outdo the others and make a name for themselves. Almost all of these theatres also had stages with trap doors, flying rigging for multiple drops, and an organ - a Wurlitzer was king. Ours had a white one that rose up from the understage. It was so cool. Thanks for your post and jostling my addled memory!

Fri., Apr. 3, 2015 - 6:28 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album Early U.K. Musicians

Mick Ronson,before Bowie c 1967

Posted on Wed., Apr. 1, 2015 - 6:18 PM

In case you're wondering what the posters behind Mick says..SM FO VE DN ,It's Small Four, Every Wednesday. Another Hull band that recorded a song called 'One Up On Me' on the Pye label.
Lead singer, John Small now resides in the U.S.

Mon., Oct. 5, 2015 - 12:30 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Fender Jazz Bass c1974

My working bass from about 1974.The original neck warped,so I bought a Precision neck I saw on W.48th N.Y.C. in 1979..I saw a pair of DiMarzio pups too,and a brass bridge.The body was refinished in Lo...
Posted on Thu., Mar. 26, 2015 - 7:48 PM

Hi Pete...Thanks for signing up on this great site...
Posted on Sun., Mar. 22, 2015 - 12:11 PM

Peter Alton

has added Buzz Hummer as a friend.
Posted on Sat., Mar. 21, 2015 - 3:46 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Epiphone Wilshire 1964 with Duesenberg trem.

This is a great Gibson factory Epi.I played a '59 Les Paul Jnr in 1962-63,and loved the access to the last fret Mini hubucks. This guitar sounds great.
Posted on Fri., Mar. 20, 2015 - 8:32 AM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Gretsch Corsair 1961,with look alike DeArmond style p.up.

Great archtop Gretsch,sounds good acoustic & great amplified.
Posted on Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 12:05 PM

has updated his instruments
Posted on Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 12:00 PM

has updated his biography
Posted on Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 11:59 AM

Peter Alton

has added Calor Amps as a friend.
Posted on Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 11:44 AM

Peter Alton

has added Rob Taylor as a friend.
Posted on Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 11:43 AM

HI Guys,Just joined,and hope to make friends.I love Jazz & old arch top guitars,plus classic tube amps.( I have a few ,too)
Posted on Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 11:41 AM

Welcome to NMB Live, Peter. Looking forward to your posts.

Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hey Peter, welcome to the site mate, John mentioned he would speak to you :-)

Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 1:33 PM

has added 1 new photo to the album Great guitars & Amps-1

Wes Montgomery recording setup

Not Wes's actual instruments,but collected by me over the last 50 years or so.Great sounds !
Posted on Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Now all you need is Melvin's B-3!!

Thu., Mar. 19, 2015 - 4:19 PM

Next month,on April 6th,it will be 50 years since I saw Wes Montgomery at Ronnie Scott's 'Old Place' in Gerard Street,London.Wes came off the stage at the end of his performance,and he was enthusiastically met by admirers,inckuding me.He was carrying his single pup,Venetian cut L5,which I touched,promising myself one
,if ever I could afford it.The photo above is that guitar,which I still have.It was loaned to Joe Pass in London in the early 1970's.I'd taken it to Ivor Mairant's music shop for a re fret,and Joe gave a seminar,at the shop.He used my guitar,and I have a photo as proof.If you ever visit that shop,the photo is hanging in there,along with a picture of Wes & his L5.Great days !

Thu., Mar. 26, 2015 - 3:24 PM

Very nice Peter, always promised myself an L5 But did own a Byrdland back in the early 80's

Thu., Mar. 26, 2015 - 3:48 PM